Image: Jack Latham, Sugar Paper Theories.
Jack Latham (b. 1989, UK) is the winner of this year’s Bar Tur Photobook Award. Now in its second year this significant annual award offers an emerging photographer the opportunity to work with The Photographers’ Gallery and independent UK based publisher Here Press, to produce their first book to a value of £20,000.
The winner was announced at a special ceremony at The Photographers’ Gallery on Tuesday 1 December 2015 and the winning project will be published in September 2016.
Latham’s winning project Sugar Paper Theories traces an infamous true crime case in Iceland. Known as the Reykjavik Confessions, it involved the testimonies of six people who confessed to two murders but later argued they were suffering from false memory syndrome following prolonged interrogations and solitary confinement.
The four runners-up are Sebastián Bruno, Eugenio Grosso, Nikolas Ventourakis and Luisa Whitton, who will all receive £1,000 each towards the realisation of their proposed photobook project.
This Year’s Judges :
- Brett Rogers, Director, The Photographers’ Gallery
- Armon Bar-Tur, entrepreneur and philanthropist
- Harry Hardie & Ben Weaver, co-publishers, Here Press
- Celia Davies, Director, Photoworks
- Chloe Dewe Mathews, artist
- Cheryl Newman, Photography Editor
- Hannah Watson, Director, Trolley Books